Mitigation experts from the (FEMA) will offer advice on ways residents of Lindenhurst and elsewhere on Long Island could protect their homes from future disasters - like at the end of August 2011 - at a nearby Suffolk County home improvement store this week.
The , 1101 Sunrise Highway, in nearby Copiague, starting Friday, November 4 until Wednesday, , from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
The mitigation experts will provide information about:
• Cleaning mold and mildew.
• Elevating electrical services and appliances.
• Installing sewer backflow valves.
• Removing and replacing drywall and insulation.
• Channeling water away from foundations.
• Repairing with water-resistant materials.
• Permitting process required for rebuilding.
Residents could also visit the Suffolk County Office of Emergency Management website at http://suffolkcountyny.gov/Home/departments/firerescue/Office%20of%20Emergency%20Management.aspx to learn more about .
(Note: The FEMA Disaster Recovery Center in Suffolk is now , and the to register for aid following Irene was set for October 31, 2011.)