The big news this week was that Lindenhurst resident Lisa Alvarado's home is a Top 24 finalist in Patch's Deck the House Contest!
If you haven't already voted, then please click here to vote right now!
Your vote for the Alvarados' home holiday decorations could help win $100,000 for from Patch.com!
So please vote and tell everyone you know to vote! Time is short. Deadline is January 8 at midnight, EST.
Here are the latest headlines about the contest:
- : Superintendent Richard Nathan said the money could help preserve school programs and services, and urged Lindenhurst parents and residents to vote in Patch's Deck the House contest.
- : Lisa Alvarado spoke with Lindenhurst Patch about how her home's decorations have evolved over the years, and how they were used this year to help raise money for charity.
- : Community with the winning entry will receive $100,000 for its local public school district.
- : Get out the lights and holly. Your decorating could net $100,000 for Lindy Public Schools.
Other recent school-related news included these headlines:
- : Take a look back at highlights of the school's first-grade pageant.
- : In an effort to give back this holiday season, students at collected toys in Lindenhurst for less fortunate children at Winthrop Hospital as part of Senator Fuschillo's 'Extend the Holidays' Toy Drive - which collected more than 2,000 toys that were delivered on January 6.
- : Alumni joined in as the orchestras and chorus showed off their talents in the second and final holiday concert.
The other big news this week was in Village government when the Village Board approved its the 2012-13 budget this week:
- : It included a 2.7 increase in the tax rate, but it still kept to the two-percent tax-cap guidelines set forth by the New York state comptroller's office, according to the board.
The board, when it met on night, also set a public hearing for it next meeting on . Read about it here:
- : Village Board will hold a about changing local law to require landscapers to take lawn waste with them instead of leaving it in bags at the curb.
The Village also lost two long-time residents as it turned the page to 2012:
- : Services were held this week at .
- : Long-time Lindy resident was also active in local Little League and local youth football league.
In police and fire news these were the top headlines:
- : Suffolk Police said Steven Yurcak and Jake Matthews spray-painted the exterior of a building that houses the Farmingdale First Baptist Church in North Amityville on New Year's Eve.
- : Here's a rundown of arrests in Lindenhurst, and North Lindenhurst, between December 19 and 31.
- : Here's a rundown of incidents in Lindenhurst, and North Lindenhurst, between December 17 and 30.
In lighter, holiday news check out these headlines:
- : See highlights through the of the annual holiday cheer the recently spread in the community, replete with Santa, candy canes and door-to-door visits.
- : See photo highlights of one of the first Santa sightings in Lindenhurst this past holiday season.
In other business news this week, read about two thriving local eateries and the secrets to their success:
- : At in Lindenhurst, a variety of Italian, Greek, American and Mexican menu items demonstrate that, for Gary Spanos, it's not "all Greek to me."
- : Al Saporito has built on a 27-year-old "template for success" at a well-loved bagel shop in Sunrise Plaza in North Lindenhurst.
Several businesses also had some holiday offerings in time for the new year, too:
- : Some adult-beverage ideas were offered by local businesses in time for in Lindenhurst.
- : Lindenhurst Patch put together five local Lindy restaurant picks where residents could ring in 2012.
Where and how did you ring in 2012? Before heading out or settling in for the night, did you, perhaps, check out:
- : Here's a look back at the year's biggest stories in the community.
- : Here's a look back at the people who've had the biggest impact in and on the community this year.
In sports news this week one Lindy native was recognized for her agility and talent. Read about it here:
- : Sarah Palladino was one of three players to receive All (Skyline) Conference honors.
Last, but not least, be sure to check out the latest Patch features:
- Traffic and Gas Prices: Check here for the latest local Lindy traffic and gas prices before heading out each day.
- : Share photos and videos of the Lindenhurst community with your neighbors.