Welcome to the holiday weekend, Lindy! Here's a list of events happening in Lindenhurst and in nearby communities this holiday weekend, February 15 to 18.
Take a look, and feel free to add your own events in the comments section, below, and to the events section here.
And remember to share your Lindy Lens photos of these events by adding them here: Lindenhurst Resident Photo of the Day. Just click the upload button and include a one-line caption. Yours might be the next to be featured!
Lindy Local Events
Farmingdale Lanes is hosting a fundraiser for their neighbors in the Lindenhurst School District who continue to be affected by Hurricane Sandy. Participants can bowl for two hours on Monday from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. for a $10 donation. There will also be raffles. The fundraiser is in support of Camp Bulldog, which helps Sandy victims right here in Lindy. (See also the accompanying flier for more information.)
Spend an afternoon watching live performers at the Third Sunday Song Swap at the BACCA Performing Arts Center in Lindenhurst from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
If you're still celebrating Valentine's Day, enjoy a wine tasting session at Cloud Nove in Lindenhurst on Sunday at 3 p.m. For $30 you can sample wines from across the U.S. and France, and learn about color, aromas, flavors and textures. Pre-registration is required, as space is limited.
You could also see the Harlem Globetrotters on Sunday at 1 p.m. at Nassau Coliseum via the Lindenhurst Knights of Columbus. Tickets start at $19.50 per person. Click here for more information. There's also a retired Knights meeting at 12 p.m. on Monday.
Lindenhurst School District kindergarten registration finishes on Friday. And the District is closed on Monday for Presidents' Day. However, due to closures following Sandy in the Fall, Winter break next week is canceled, and schools will be open February 19 to 22.
Click the links for more information.
- The Judah Lounge Presents Y.U.E. Onstage Open Mic Series 2013
- Lindenhurst Open Houses: February 16-17
- NYLAG Mobile Legal Help Center to Offer Free Legal Help at Camp Bulldog at Shore Road Park from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday, according to the Village of Lindenhurst text messaging system. Text VOL to 411247 for updates. Click here for more information about the NYLAG help.
Other Local Events
At the Deer Park Library, kids can make crafts during the walk-in session on Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. All ages are welcome. No registration required. Children under 11 must remain with an adult. Child needs to be present and show his/her Deer Park Library Card to participate.
The First Presbyterian Church of Babylon is holding a "neighbors helping neighbors" session to assist families affected by Hurricane Sandy. On Saturday from 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., coats, food, cleaning supplies and other basics will be distributed to those in need. Hot meals will also be served to all.
Community members are invited to share a free homemade meal at Westminster United Presbyterian Church in West Islip on Sunday at 4 p.m. All are welcome.
The Ice Rink at Tanger Outlets at the Arches in Deer Park is open and ready for skaters. Stop in this weekend on Saturday from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
More Happenings, Coverage and Updates
Click the links for more information.
- After Sandy - Long Island Recovers
- Hurricane Sandy Long Island
- The Latest Sandy Updates
- Tweet #PatchRebuilds to Help Hurricane Sandy Survivors
- FEMA Deadline Extended for Sandy Victims
- FEMA Assistance at Lindenhurst Memorial Library
- New Days and Hours at the Lindenhurst Youth Center
- Local Electrical Help for Sandy Victims
- Free Sandy Legal Services for Sandy Victims
- Free Tax Filing Assistance for Eligible Long Islanders
- Ice Cream for Books! Lindenhurst Memorial Library Winter Reading Club
- Alleghany PTA Looking for Donations for Upcoming Fundraiser