The changes to the school calendar that translated into the cancelation of the students' February break became official at the most recent Lindenhurst Board of Education meeting.
Presidents' Day will be the only day the District is officially closed come February, thanks to the seven days of closings Hurricane Sandy caused.
The calendar changes the District put forth and the BOE approved were as follows:
- Tuesday, February 19, to Friday, February 22, are now school days.
- Thursday, March 14, which was designated as a Superintendent’s Conference Day, is now a regular school day.
(Read more about this here.)
Recognized for Sportsmanship
Four Lindenhurst teams have been recognized for sportsmanship, according to Superintendent Richard Nathan at the same meeting.
"Lindenhurst Athletics Director Anthony Amesti has shared four teams have received the Section XI Outstanding Sportsmanship Team Award for the Fall season," the superintendent said.
Nathan listed them as follows:
- Boys Cross Country - Coached by George Smawley.
- Girls Cross Country - Coached by Dave Carlson.
- Eighth Grade Girls Soccer - Coached by Kimberly Boucher.
- JV Boys Volleyball - Coached by Allison Hocoluk.
He congratulated the teams, as did Amesti earlier in a release posted to the Lindenhurst School District website: "This is a credit to the conduct and performance of student-athletes, parents, spectators and the coaching staff, who did a fine job representing Lindenhurst in competition this past Fall season."
In addition to these sports honors, the Lindy BOE will be honoring the Lindenhurst Girls and Boys Varsity Volleyball teams for their Fall 2012 seasons.
The girls’ team made it all the way to the Suffolk County finals, and the boys’ team won the Long Island Championship and won the chance to play in the New York state finals.
Sandy Relief Donations
Nathan also indicated Sandy relief donations continue to come into the District for Lindy's young Sandy victims.
"We received $4,000 in gift cards from Tanger Outlets," he said.
The District also received a call from Lawrence City in Alabama, asking, "How we'd feel about being adopted by the small community? We were grateful, and they fundraised, and sent $2,800 in gift cards," Nathan noted.
Irvington School District in Westchester also called Lindenhurst Schools wanting to adopt the District.
As a result Nathan said the Irvington high school and middle school principals will be calling their counterparts here, Lindenhurst High School Principal Dan Giordano and Lindenhurst Middle School Principal Frank Naccarato.
According to the District, on Wednesday, December 19, a holiday party open to the community and geared toward the kids is being planned at the LHS. It'll be similar to the Fall Festival that took place in November. The details were still being worked out.
The 2012 Winter Concerts are underway, noted Nathan, who said he was enjoying the concerts, and said the new red curtain at the LHS - where some of the elementary school concerts are taking place along with the two LHS concerts - looked good.
The new curtain was the class of 2012 gift.
The remaining concerts, to which the community is invited, are as follows:
- December 12 - LHS Concert I (7 p.m.)
- December 13 - LMS, Grade Six (7 p.m.)
- December 17 - Harding Avenue Elementary School at the LMS (7 p.m.)
- December 18 - Albany Avenue Elementary School (7 p.m.)
- December 18 - Daniel Street Elementary School at the LHS (7 p.m.)
- December 20 - LHS Concert II (7 p.m.)
More information about the concerts is posted on the District's website.
- Lindenhurst School District Appoints Interim Lindenhurst High School Special Education Chairperson
- Lindenhurst Board of Education Closer to Decision to Fill Vacant Seat
- Lindenhurst's Emily Clemens Named in Top 24 Volleyball Players in United States
- Senator Schumer Urges Travel Companies to Help Families Losing February Break
- Lindenhurst School District: Lindy Students' Winter Break Canceled
- Photos: Lindenhurst High School Fall Festival Lifts Lindy's Spirits
- Lindenhurst Boys Volleyball Loses Bid for New York State Title
- Lindenhurst Boys Volleyball Captures Long Island Crown
- Lindenhurst Girls Fall to Ward Melville in Bid for County Volleyball Title